Remove Ads from WSF

Thread: Is a Smartwatch Really a Watch?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Is a Smartwatch Really a Watch?

NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

Banned
    Well, it serves as a watch, just as a smartphone does.
    Carrying on with that smartphone/smartwatch comparison, it's like the wrist version of the pocket watch from the early 20th.C brought up to date. Smartphone=pocket watch, smartwatch=first "true" wrist watch.
    Some can be very beautiful, but I don't like the Apple version.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by accutronitis View Post
    well, it serves as a watch, just as a smartphone does.
    Carrying on with that smartphone/smartwatch comparison, it's like the wrist version of the pocket watch from the early 20th.c brought up to date. Smartphone=pocket watch, smartwatch=first "true" wrist watch.
    Some can be very beautiful, but i don't like the apple version.
    YOU ARE NO ACCUTRONITIS MR BUTLER AKA BOBBEE so quit trying to act like you are !

Is a smart watch really a watch? Hmmm... I'd say so, after all, it does tell us the time. BUT, they lack what makes a watch so special to you and I, Adam, and that's a heart beat!

Quote Originally Posted by colemanitis View Post
    BUT, they lack what makes a watch so special to you and I, Adam, and that's a heart beat!
    EXACTLY - Amen to that.
    A
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

Quote Originally Posted by colemanitis View Post
    Is a smart watch really a watch? Hmmm... I'd say so, after all, it does tell us the time. BUT, they lack what makes a watch so special to you and I, Adam, and that's a heart beat!
    Well, after maybe a year and a half with the Apple watch, ceramic** no less, having bought a dozen different watch bands, I finally gave up. The watch was lightweight enough to sit on a second wrist unnoticed until I needed it, and having a weather check now and then was cool - when it worked!! - but what finally killed it was the constant nagging by Apple to "update the o/s version", which means hours of failure until it finally updates, and then you struggle with the new changes, some of which are bound to be irritating.

**Naturally, Apple released a ceramic case version in their Watch Hardware Version 2, then eliminated ceramic with the new hardware updates. So no matter the new firmware updates, with the ceramic version you'd be stuck with the old hardware. That's nothing new for Apple of course - obsolescence, but the constant nagging just rubbed salt into the wound.

And BTW, I get the same nagging on my iPhone and iPad, with no way to turn it off. Seriously! And if the nagging isn't bad enough, any Apple device on WiFi gets 1-gb updates forced onto the device as often as you remove them. I could go on, but rather not.

Louis Vuitton offered me one of these smart watches recently, and I discussed the various watch "faces" with their designer, but couldn't get them to design something that had appropriate bling, yet looked like a real watch. And I didn't even get to the firmware aspects, which I presume (at my peril no doubt) would not be as onerous as Apple's ham-fisted control.
    U-Boat Capsoil, U-Boat Tungsteno, U-Boat Sommerso, U-Boat DoppioTempo Bronzo.

To me, yes and no. One feature of my Apple watch I like is I can set the stopwatch dial to 3 seconds (totals are on the subdials), so the main dial can be read to 1/100ths of a second. Things I do NOT like are 1) It can't be always visible, 2) There are many face options, most terrible, none really good, 3) No mechanics whatsoever, 4) Limited charge time.
    U-Boat Capsoil, U-Boat Tungsteno, U-Boat Sommerso, U-Boat DoppioTempo Bronzo.

I got the Series 3 when it was released. I was quite happy with it until I got my Tag. It hasn't been worn since!